Categories

Fraud/Scam Alert

There’s Evidence of Mermaids Inside Sharks. No, really.

More often than not, we yield to that innate curiosity in us, regardless of whether it’s for our own good or not. If we’re not careful, we may have unknowingly contributed to the spreading of a scam wherein everyone loses and only the social engineer behind it wins.

A Scam on Facebook

[EXCLUSIVE VIDEO] Uncut! Mermaid found inside a shark!

NEVER SEEN BEFORE! Mermaid found inside a shark! RARE FOOTAGE!

If you frequent the Animal Planet channel like me, you may have suddenly thought of that faux-umentary called “Mermaids Attacked by Giant Shark” back in 2013 and suspect that this scam may likely be inspired by it.

This new scam is similar to that scam about an angry bear we found and wrote about in February of this year. Its page also sport a believable Facebook interface that leads to an equally believable fake YouTube page hosting a survey scam.

Another EXCLUSIVE! scam post on FacebookAnother EXCLUSIVE! scam post on Facebook

Supposed "adult" video overlaid with a survey scam“Wait, an ‘adult’ video? Where’s my chewed mermaid!”

Perhaps the most alarming and worrying of all this (at least for me) is the fact that an official Facebook page of a local government body fell for the scam and shared it to its thousands of friends and Twitter followers. Its only saving grace, perhaps, was the journalist who spotted the tweet quickly and offered a solution to the person manning the account in the hopes that nothing like this should happen again in the future. Kudos for that, sir!

This scam isn’t the first of its kind to hit the Web. In late January of this year, Facebook users made viral a supposed video of a mermaid caught sleeping on a rock. Around the same time, a fake clip surfaced about a mermaid corpse washed up on the shores of Gators Pass.

To our avid blog readers, let’s avoid clicking and/or sharing this scam. Also, it won’t hurt to remind your friends and followers to do the same.

Other related post/s:

Jovi Umawing

6 thoughts on “There’s Evidence of Mermaids Inside Sharks. No, really.

1. LynNae Hill says on April 13, 2014 at 3:42 pm :

I clicked it, so is deleting it enough or do I need to do something else?

2. windowsxp says on April 14, 2014 at 10:37 am :

Scam is so funny -_-, I remember the old dayz where fake antivirus programs installed themselves on computers, does that still happen?

3. Jovi Umawing says on April 14, 2014 at 10:49 am :

Hello, LynNae :) The scam I studied didn’t download any malware. It simply leads users to fake sites promising a video clip. If the mermaid scam you encountered didn’t download a file, I think you’re generally fine. Just don’t answer the survey :)

4. Jovi Umawing says on April 14, 2014 at 10:55 am :

Fake AV had a major decline last year, coincidentally giving rise to the prevalence of ransomware. But even before then, there were signs that fake AV was on its way out.

I’m personally not monitoring fake AVs at the moment, but I doubt we’ll be seeing them soon :)

5. Lance Hassan says on April 25, 2014 at 11:11 am :

@windowsxp…+Jovi actually haven’t even seen ransomware around much lately which is kind of too bad, got a user one day, scared the _____ out of him, trying to watch a soccer match through a very fringe website (we don’t filter much) I kept him going for about an hour about how he was going to have to get the money together to pay the FBI. I know, not nice, but he was messing with my systems and I was seriously annoyed.

6. Steve saj says on April 30, 2014 at 1:11 pm :

In this day of rush rush and a high tech world its refreshing and funny to read these blogs. Thanks Jovi and the others leaving these stories.I am more of a hardware tech. than software and I get stressed out dealing with stuff on computers. Im dealing with the FBI on some scams I have come accross just lately.It is funny and yet surpriseing what people will fall for. I can laugh at these but who is to say when I might be in their place one day, these scams are getting more and more creative you have to say.However, I still find some very funny and refreshing. Thanks….