Proxy (the authority to act for someone else) is a term that we use, when related to computers, to describe using a third party between the user and the internet.
Looking at the reasons to use a proxy will help us further on, when we look at the different kinds of proxies, and related methods. The most common reasons are:
- To hide your identity or location
- Speed, web proxies are commonly used to cache web pages from a web server
- Saving bandwidth for downloads, in cases where more users go through the same proxy to get the same files
- Usage logs, the proxy server keeps track of who goes where
- Security, the server scans the content for malware
- Other filters, in- and outbound